Today Hans-Kristian Arntzen (also known as Themaister) sent us a big pull request giving RetroArch complete Vulkan support, the new graphics library API that has been unveiled and released to the public today.
See the pull request here.
Features/what has been ported
- A full-featured graphics driver for Vulkan was written.
- It should be compatible with MaterialUI/XMB and the other hardware-accelerated menu drivers that were previously GL-only.
- Overlays should work through Vulkan. (by overlays we mean the gamepad overlays in RetroArch)
- Font rendering should work through Vulkan.
- Shader support. Vulkan support will mean some changes for shaders that will be unveiled later on.
- Asynchronous GPU recording.
- Libretro cores can be written against Vulkan as well. A test core was included for this in the repo, you can find it here.
Libretro cores that use Vulkan will require an additional header, libretro_vulkan.h.