Due to a “controversy”, all devs bar one from FinalBurn Alpha moved to a new fork called FinalBurn Neo. If you were using the FBAlpha core we recommend you move to the new FBNeo core by updating your core list and info files.
FBAlpha/FBNeo is a very active project with exciting features added regularly so it might be a good opportunity to talk about recent additions !
Support for Midway/Williams/Atari classics
A lot of people have been asking about them over the last few years, a lot of them are now playable !
Support for vector games
Tempest, Black Widow and other classic vector games are now playable too, some of them with resolution upscaling !
Support for Neo-Geo CD
Neo-Geo CD is now fully playable as a subsystem, including its exclusive title : Samurai Shodown RPG !
NB : this game was only available in Japan, but fan translations exist.
Other noteworthy improvements
- Many of you might not know, but this core also supports a few consoles as subsystems, and it does it pretty well, recently we even added “Super Game Module” support for CBS ColecoVision.
- Many control schemes were added to the core recently, you can now play with mouse, trackball or lightgun, there is also keyboard support for ZX Spectrum.
- There was a major improvement to QSound emulation a week ago, now CPS1/CPS2 sound is clear as day. Actually there was also sound improvements for a lot of other games, leading to faster emulation and clearer sound.
- There is now RetroAchievements support for popular arcade games, this implementation even added support for cheats as a side effect.
Check our F.A.Q if you need help ! If your question isn’t already covered, ask on libretro’s forum.
You want to contribute ?
You are a coder ? You want to help the project ? Join us on our forum ! We are always happy to see new contributors. A few things we might be especially interested in :
- Adding support for CHD.
- Porting our MIPS3 dynarec to other archs, it’s only available for x64 at the moment.
- Improving our TMS34010 CPU core, it’s still WIP and its developer can’t find the time to finish it.
- Adding a SH3 CPU core, preferably interpreter+dynarec(s), if someone can do that we promise you support for cv1k (Cave 3rd generation board) in the near future.
Kronos 1.7.0 is now available on the buildbot ! The major change since 1.6.0 is a complete rewrite of the glcore renderer by its author FCare over the last 6 months, it allowed to fix a ton of graphical issues.
As usual, the emulator is a good alternative to beetle-saturn if your CPU isn’t fast enough, or if you want features like resolution upscaling.
The minimal requirement is still a GPU with OpenGL 3.3 support. On a sidenote, there are probably still issues with some Intel gpus, especially on windows, sadly the issue is clearly on Intel drivers’s side so we have no plans to search for a fix any further. However if there is an Intel gpu guru around, help is welcome !
One last exciting thing, writing a Vulkan renderer has been added to the roadmap, don’t ask for an ETA though.
Kronos is a fork of YabaSanshiro, which is itself a fork of Yabause. The project was started by François, his main goal was to have an emulator benefitting from YabaSanshiro improvements, while being friendly with x86_64 architecture and desktop computers.
Over time, several new features were added :
- Sega ST-V emulation (the arcade version of the Sega Saturn)
- Modern OpenGL Core support, it should now have a fair compatibility, even with intel GPUs, the minimum requirement is OpenGL 3.3 Core, and 4.2 if you want to benefit from gpu tesselation
Additional things to know :
- It’s using a high performance SH2 cached interpreter, albeit different from the dynarecs used in YabaSanshiro, the CPU frequency requirement is still around 30% lower than an emulator using a classic SH2 interpreter like beetle-saturn
- It’s compatible with beetle-saturn savefiles, there is even a core option to load them from the same path
- It’s compatible with zipped cue+bin+wav isos, you don’t need to uncompress them or convert them to CHD
- There are several core options to improve rendering (tesselation, upscaling, …)
Shining Force 3 on Sega Saturn :
Cotton 2 on Sega ST-V :
Things to do/fix :
- Improve compatibility with non windows/linux platforms, in the case of MacOS X we’ll first need a retroarch with OpenGL 3.3 enabled
- Improve input lag, we are 1 frame behind beetle-saturn at the moment
- Add CHD support
- Hook optional YabaSanshiro SH2 interpreters as core options, while they are not cross-platform, they could be interesting to further improve performances on their respective platforms (x86_32,arm,arm64)
- Hook alternative input devices (lightgun, mouse, keyboard, …)
- Fix the “toggling fullscreen/windowed” issue (it will result in a black screen if you do that while playing)
- Fix game specific issues, detailed reports are welcome at https://github.com/FCare/Kronos/issues
There is a compatibility list available here