RetroArch 1.8.5 has just been released.
Grab it here.
We will release a Cores Progress report soon going over all the core changes that have happened since the last report. It’s an exhaustive list, and especially the older consoles will receive a lot of new cores and improvements.
Remember that this project exists for the benefit of our users, and that we wouldn’t keep doing this were it not for spreading the love with our users. This project exists because of your support and belief in us to keep going doing great things. If you’d like to show your support, consider donating to us. Check here in order to learn more. In addition to being able to support us on Patreon, there is now also the option to sponsor us on Github Sponsors! You can also help us out by buying some of our merch on our Teespring store!
New default menu – Ozone
Based on the results of a popular vote poll we held on Twitter, Ozone is now the default menu driver moving forward for RetroArch. If you still would like to use the previous menu (XMB), you can still do that – just go to Settings, Drivers, change Menu to ‘xmb’, and restart RetroArch.
There are also some important changes made to the scaling of the Ozone menu. It now scales based on DPI, and you are also able to configure the scaling to whatever suits your preferences. The widgets/notifications are now also scaled appropriately.
Do note that Lakka will stay with the XMB menu as the default menu, but you will definitely be able to switch to Ozone there as an optional feature.
There have also been plenty of important Quality of life improvements made to the menu. To learn more about this, see the section ‘Changelog’.
Important bugfix/crash fixes
An important bug has been fixed which would prevent RetroArch from launching on 64-bit x86 Chromebook hardware.
The threaded video driver on Linux was previously very unstable with OpenGL. We have managed to fix the majority of these issues.
- 3DS: Keep the bottom screen hidden on sleep/wakeup. When the 3DS wakes back up after being closed, the bottom screen needs to be reinitialized. Adding the condition here will cause the screen to be turned on or off based on the state of ctr_bottom_screen_enabled, as you’d expect
- ANDROID/CHROMEBOOK/CRASH: Fix Chromebook crashes (on x86 x64) when touching the screen
- BUGFIX: Prevent double input when using ‘return’ key (hardware) to close on-screen keyboard
- BUGFIX: Fix mouse capture hotkey not working
- BUGFIX: Avoid overflow when calculating multiplying performance counter
- BUGFIX: Retroarch overlay displaying “Game remap file loaded.” on the overlay instead of “Core remap file loaded.” when only a core remap file is present
- CHEEVOS/BUGFIX: Achievement triggers could cause Retroarch to Crash
- CHEEVOS: Don’t block Sameboy core because it only exposes some memory
- CHEEVOS: Support for extended Sega CD memory
- CHEEVOS: Show RetroAchievements Hash in content information list
- CHEEVOS: If the core says it’s exposing SYSTEM_RAM, give it the benefit of the doubt
- CHEEVOS: RetroAchievements rich presence for RA.org website/Discord
- CHEEVOS: Reset token when username or password changes
- CHEEVOS: Display measured progress on locked achievements
- CHEEVOS: Queue multiple popups
- CHEEVOS: Add delay retries to leaderboard submits
- CHEEVOS: Prevent buffer overflow when encountering an unknown macro
- CORE UPDATER: Prevent hang when fetching core list if HTTP transfer fails
- DISK CONTROL: Add disk labels to ‘disk inserted’ notifications
- EMSCRIPTEN: Recreate input event listeners properly
- FFMPEG CORE: Fix crash on seeking when using HW decoding in some cases
- LIBRETRO: Add disk control interface API extension
- LINUX: Avoid possible crash when running retroarch at startup
- LINUX/GLX: Fix threaded video crashes/instability because of GLX OML sync callbacks
- LOCALIZATION: Update French translation
- LOCALIZATION: Update Korean translation
- LOCALIZATION: Update Polish translation
- LOCALIZATION: Update Spanish translation
- LOCALIZATION: Update Portuguese Brazilian translation
- MENU: Add Menu Scroll Acceleration option
- MENU: Automatically select currently checked item when opening drop-down lists
- MENU: Fix smooth (vertical) line ticker scroll speed
- MENU: Don’t flush on override/remap messages
- MENU/DATETIME: Adds some new timedate styles that follow the DD/MM/YYYY format, found in several European countries
- MENU/DATETIME: Modifies the existing translation files in order to accommodate the new options that are now available
- MENU/DATETIME: Reorders the timedate view options based on a decreasing order of the quantity of information displayed, so that they are more convenient to switch around and easily categorized
- MENU/BUGFIX: Fix bug – if you were in XMB and you would set menu driver to RGUI, you could no longer go to the left or right tab
- MENU/MATERIALUI: Add option to remove navigation bar
- MENU/OZONE: Add DPI-based scaling
- MENU/OZONE: Add rudimentary pointer support
- MENU/OZONE: Add ‘Nord’ and ‘Gruvbox Dark’ themes
- MENU/OZONE/POINTER: Pointer can be used to switch between sidebar and entries list
- MENU/OZONE/POINTER: Pointer can be used to select sidebar and entries list items
- MENU/OZONE/POINTER: Both sidebar and entries list can be scrolled by dragging
- MENU/OZONE/POINTER: Clicking/pressing the header or footer produces a ‘cancel’ action
- MENU/OZONE/POINTER: Cursor focus follows mouse pointer from sidebar to entries list (and vice versa)
- MENU/OZONE/POINTER: In entries list, item under cursor is automatically selected (with some fudging to ensure this doesn’t break mouse wheel scrolling)
- MENU/OZONE/POINTER: In sidebar, item under cursor is not automatically selected (this is too jarring)
- MENU/RGUI: Add ‘Flux’ theme
- MENU/XMB: New color themes ‘Cube Purple’, ‘Family Red’, etc
- NETPLAY/MENU/BUGFIX: Fix Netplay Stateless Mode doesn’t save. Affects other netplay settings which can be overridden by commandline option
- ODROID GO ADVANCE: Rotation support
- NETPLAY/ROOMS/BUGFIX: Prevent out-of-bounds array indexing when displaying/selecting netplay rooms in menus
- SCANNER: Add ‘Arcade DAT Filter’ Option
- SCANNER: Add scanning Korea and Asia PS1 discs
- SCANNER: Add support for scanning PSP Korean
- VIDEO: Set hardware ‘Bilinear filtering’ off by default
- VIDEO/WIDGETS: Widgets are now menu-independent
- VIDEO/WIDGETS: Allow notifications to use full screen width when not displaying menu
- VIDEO/WIDGETS: DPI-based scaling
- VIDEO/WIDGETS: Fix volume widget scaling
- VIDEO/WIDGETS: Add independent widget scale override settings for fullscreen/windowed modes
- VIDEO/WIDGETS/BUGFIX: Prevent improper display of (old style) OSD text when widgets are enabled
- VIDEO/WIDGETS/THREADED/BUGFIX: Fix issue – corruption of menu widgets when running some cores (e.g. VICE) with threaded video enabled
- WIFI/CONNMANCTL: Display more characters from SSID