Windows 10/11 users now have an even more convenient way of installing RetroArch! RetroArch is now available from the Windows Package Manager (see here).
- Stables are identical to the ones found on our website/buildbot.
- They are digitally signed, meaning they pass the Windows Defender SmartScreen Protection. You will not get a warning from SmartScreen when attempting to install RetroArch this way. Useful if you are in a protected environment where your system administrator has locked down your ability to install unsigned third-party applications on your system.
The video will show you how to install it.
First, start up the Command Prompt. You can go the Start Menu and type in ‘Command Prompt’ and then click on it to start it up, or simultaneously press Windows key + R key, and then type in ‘cmd’.
How to search for RetroArch
Once on the command line, you can search for packages to see if they exist. To search for RetroArch, tyep in the following:
winget search RetroArch
Lowercase ‘retroarch’ will work as well. An entry should show up.
How to install RetroArch
Now that we know the package exists on the package manager, we should be able to install this. Simply type on the commandline:
winget install RetroArch
It will now install RetroArch without requiring any user interaction. Note that this version of RetroArch will not attempt to install the DirectX9 SDK in case it doesn’t already exist. We assume on modern Windows you will use the Direct3D 10/11/12 or Vulkan/OpenGL drivers anyway.
Once installed, you should be able to find it from the Start Menu as a recently added application.
How to uninstall RetroArch
Uninstalling RetroArch once installed is similarly easy. Simply type the following on the commandline:
winget uninstall RetroArch
RetroArch’s presence on app stores
Our aim with RetroArch is to be available on as many storefronts and outlets as possible. We have made some impressive progress over the years.
- RetroArch is available on Steam for Windows and SteamOS/Linux (see here).
- RetroArch is available on the Windows Package Manager for Windows 10/11 (see here).
- RetroArch is available on the Google Play Store for regular Android devices (see here). A Plus version with additional features is also available here.
- RetroArch is available on the Huawei AppGallery for Huawei branded Android devices (see here).
- RetroArch is available on the Samsung Galaxy Store for Samsung branded Android devices (see here).
- RetroArch is available on the Amazon App Store for Amazon branded Android devices (see here).
- RetroArch is available on itch.io (see here).
- RetroArch is available on Canonical Snapcraft (see here).
- RetroArch is available on Flathub (see here).
- RetroArch has a Humble Bundle page (see here).
We have even more plans to expand that we cannot talk about yet!